Friday, February 16, 2018

The Evolution of the Likelihood of a Snow Day/Slice Of Life #6

     The Snow Day was pretty fun, I can’t really remember any specific stuff about it.  But it felt very satisfying when I looked up at the TV and Berwyn South School District #100 came up the day before.  Hmm, Thursday wasn’t the Snow Day, but I remember that part a little more than anything that was actually on Friday.  Maybe I’ll just talk about that???

     I know this is supposed to be about Friday, and I went back to Thursday, but now I’m going back to Wednesday morning.  That was when my dad first told me that there’s going to be a lot of snow coming through and school might be canceled on Friday.  I asked him whether he thought it was more or less likely that school would be canceled, and back then he said it was probably 50/50.

     After school that day, I asked Dad what he thought was going to happen again.  He said that it was a little more likely that school WOULD be canceled on Friday, but not to get my hopes up too much.

     Okay, time for Thursday morning.  My dad told me that there’s even MORE of a chance of school being canceled now.  I was pretty excited, but I wasn’t counting on it for sure.  During Excel, I asked my teachers what they thought.  They said there probably WOULD be school on Friday.

     I wasn’t sure about that, but of course I wasn’t sure about school being canceled either.  I’m no future-seeing voodoo meteorologist who eats four leaf clovers for breakfast!  Then my teachers said that the roads in some places may be cleared from snow, but people who live kind of far away would have a hard time getting here.

     So now my Excel teachers were unsure about school on Friday.  But now I was a little more unsure about school being canceled, because they were leaning towards school coming at first.

     At lunch on Thursday, I told my friends that school might be canceled on Friday.  At first my friend Sarah was happy, but then she realized her mom would be working.  I’m not exactly sure how everything worked out, but it did.

     When I got home from school, me, my mom and my brother Eamonn watched the news.  Eamonn was using his school iPad some while the news was on, but he was still paying attention.  I was just watching it.  I think my mom might’ve had her phone out some, but she shut it off or something.

     We were looking at the bottom of the screen.  A’s, and right after that, B’s.  We were waiting for Berwyn. All those other schools had been closed on Friday, so we were 99% sure that Berwyn South School District #100 would be too.

     Since it was pretty obvious, when it did come up, I didn’t really give much of a reaction.  I smiled, I think I said some sort of small cheer and I was content.  But not SUPER AMAZINGLY SURPRISED HAPPY!  I felt like my mom was exaggerating on how great it was.

     Eamonn was looking up when our district came up, but my mom was still saying something like, “Eamonn, look!  School is canceled!  Children, look!  Aren’t you excited?!”  I knew she was trying to be a little silly, but it still felt kind of weird.

     Then the alphabetical school closings started over.  I took my school iPad out too, we already saw our school district’s closing, so I didn’t really need to see it again.  My mom was still telling us to look, and I felt like she was exaggerating its greatness even more than the first time.

     “Guys!  School is CANCELED.  Don’t you want to see your school on TV?  Look, children there’s no school tomorrow!”

     It was funny, but a little frustrating too.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great post. I'm glad to see how much time and effort you put into it. Thank you for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

      Why exactly did I do that?

      Delete